Award Banner
Award Banner

South Korea offers talks with North on reunion of war-torn families

South Korea offers talks with North on reunion of war-torn families
A South Korean war veteran holds the national flag during a ceremony commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Korean War, near the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas, in Cheorwon, South Korea on June 25, 2020.
PHOTO: Reuters file

SEOUL - South Korea on Thursday (Sept 8) offered to hold talks with North Korea on reunions of families separated by the 1950-53 Korean War, in its first direct overture under President Yoon Suk-yeol despite strained cross-border ties.

The surprise proposal came days before the thanksgiving holiday of Chuseok, when the two Koreas have in the past held family reunions. But prospects are not good, with North Korea racing to improve its weapons and refusing to deal with Yoon's administration.

South Korean Unification Minister Kwon Young-se, who is in charge of inter-Korean affairs, urged a swift, positive response, saying Seoul would consider Pyongyang's preferences on a date, venue, agenda and format of any talks.

"We hope that responsible officials of the two sides will meet in person as soon as possible for a candid discussion on humanitarian matters including the issue of separated families," Kwon told a news conference.

Hours after the proposal, South Korea's foreign ministry announced a revival of high-level talks with the United States, designed to boost deterrence against the North, which includes a US nuclear umbrella.

The conservative Yoon took office in May vowing to bolster South Korea's military capabilities and strengthen so-called extended deterrence, which refers to the ability of the US military, particularly its nuclear forces, to deter attacks on US allies.

Read Also
US, South Korea stage largest combined military drills in years
world
US, South Korea stage largest combined military drills in years

Hong Min, a senior fellow at the South's Korea Institute for National Unification, said North Korea might see South Korea's offer of dialogue and deterrence efforts as a sign of what it has called double standards.

The two Koreas have in the past held family reunions around the time of major holidays, mostly under liberal governments in the South that have tried to engage with the North.

But cross-border ties have soured. The North has conducted an unprecedented number of missile tests this year and is believed to have made preparations for its first nuclear test since 2017.

When asked about the possibility of food aid to the North, Kwon said his government was not exploring "special incentives" but would be willing to "consider positively if the North makes other humanitarian requests".

Even if North Korea rejected the offer of talks, South Korea would "continuously make proposals", he said.

Kwon said the offer would be sent via an inter-Korean hotline to Ri Son-gwon, director of the North's United Front Department, which handles South Korea issues.

Lim Eul-chul, a professor at the Institute for Far Eastern Studies at Kyungnam University, said chances were slim the North would accept the offer, citing its recent comments on Yoon.

"Family reunions is a basic humanitarian issue but in reality it requires a substantial level of trust between both sides," he said.

'Audacious plan'

Yoon has unveiled what he called an "audacious" plan to provide North Korea with economic aid in return for nuclear disarmament but has said he would respond sternly to any North Korean provocations.

Kim Yo Jong, the powerful sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, said last month Yoon should "shut his mouth" and her country would not sit face to face with him, criticising his plan as "absurd".

Read Also
world
UN nuclear watchdog has 'serious concern' about North Korea

Kwon said the proposal for talks was not part of Yoon's aid-for-denuclearisation initiative but was meant as a step to restart humanitarian exchanges regardless of the political and military situation.

Lim said Yoon's government was probably not expecting North Korea to accept the offer but might have seen domestic value in making it, given Yoon's low approval ratings and cross-border tension.

Families have been separated by a standoff that has persisted since the 1950-53 Korean War ended in an armistice not a peace treaty.

More than 133,000 South Koreans have registered for family reunions since 1988, but only about 44,000 of them are still alive as of August, with 37 per cent in their 80s and 30 per cent in their 90s, Unification Ministry data showed.

The last family reunions took place in 2018, when Yoon's liberal predecessor held summits with Kim Jong Un and tried to broker a peace agreement between North Korea and the United States.

ALSO READ: North Korea makes nuclear weapons policy 'irreversible' with new law: KCNA

Source: Reuters

homepage

trending

trending
    Woman who allegedly cheated son in Netflix's Con Mum charged in Singapore with fraud
    Former MOF director Shawn Loh seen at Jalan Besar GRC community events
    Man, 55, found dead in car left stationary for 2 days in Paya Lebar
    'I thought I could outwit scammers': Woman who lost over $78,000 to job scam in 4 days
    'Akan datang': WP Sengkang MPs coy on whether they will remain as team in GE2025
    Woman hit by car at Sengkang East Drive pedestrian crossing after cars refuse to give way
    The rise of Chinese F&B brands in Singapore: What stirs Singaporeans' appetites?
    'My brain got so fried up': Gurmit Singh hit by anxiety attack while acting in his 1st Chinese drama
    NewJeans changes social media handles and deletes posts after court ruling
    How do Trump's tariffs affect you? Here is an explainer
    Edwin Goh proposes to Rachel Wan, both returning to Singapore after 2 years in Australia
    Hong Kong actor Lee Lung Kei still plans to marry fiancee 37 years younger after her release from prison

Singapore

Singapore
    • 2 GRCs and 1 SMC: This Woodlands junction separates 3 electoral divisions
    • 21 men in Singapore among 435 arrested in cross-border operation targeting online child sex abuse
    • HSA raids home of woman filmed vaping in train, finds vape pod containing anaesthetic
    • Singapore deploys 34-member emergency medical team to aid Myanmar quake relief efforts
    • Singaporeans must stay united, not be confused by 'strange ideas or soft solutions': SM Lee
    • 'Revenge porn' victims speak out: 'Will he take pictures of me when I’m not looking?'
    • GE2025: Balancing need for foreign talent with aspirations of Singaporean workers
    • Where the parties stand on key issues ahead of GE2025
    • Trump's tariffs have limited direct impact 'for now' but consequences could be 'wider and more profound': PM Wong
    • 2 Taiwanese men allegedly part of a crime syndicate charged with cheating

Entertainment

Entertainment
    • Gossip mill: Diana Ser's son to enlist, Takeshi Kaneshiro back after 3 years, agency says late Sulli wasn't forced to film nude scene
    • E-Junkies: The Click Five will consider making new music if upcoming tour goes well
    • Former NCT idol Lucas to make acting debut in Taiwan
    • 'Blessed beyond measure': Desmond Tan and wife expecting second child
    • Ed Sheeran releases new single Azizam
    • UK police charge comedian Russell Brand with rape, sexual assaults
    • Jean-Claude Van Damme accused of having sex with trafficked women
    • 'I was right there just 3cm behind her': Exo's Kai recalls joys of simple life during military service, meeting commuter checking him out online
    • Jim Carrey pays tribute to Val Kilmer's 'grace and courage'
    • Val Kilmer reportedly discussed reprising his role as Batman before his death

Lifestyle

Lifestyle
    • AI and art: Studio Ghibli-inspired trend sparks debate on ethics and consent
    • The iconic Milo Van beverage is now available in supermarkets
    • Disney's Beauty and the Beast musical to make Asia premiere in Singapore this December
    • A first look: Blue Bottle Coffee's cafe at Raffles City, here's what to expect
    • Battlebox, but make it art: Portals will change how you see this underground bunker
    • Sunda Festival 2025: 2 friends shaping Singapore's music and festival scene
    • MG Cyberster review: Stunning-looking roadster that packs a powerful electric punch
    • The best things to do in Singapore this April 2025
    • One Beijing man's quest to keep cooking — and connecting with Americans — on camera
    • Hyundai Santa Fe review: Rugged-looking premium SUV levels up the luxury for Hyundai

Digicult

Digicult
    • A $500 wake-up call: How the Samsung Galaxy Ring made me realise my stress
    • Monster Hunter Wilds producer explains how game has remained unique and fresh over 20 years
    • Nintendo Switch 2 to launch in June with US$449.99 price tag
    • Games in April: RPGs, racing and Ronaldo in a fighting game
    • Is it time to get a MacBook at a good price? The M4 MacBook Air says yes
    • China's Baidu launches 2 new AI models as industry competition heats up
    • China's top universities expand enrolment to beef up capabilities in AI, strategic areas
    • International Women's Day: Meet the Singapore women levelling up in gaming
    • US indicts slew of alleged Chinese hackers, sanctions company over spy campaign
    • Meet the women powering innovation in tech in Singapore and beyond

Money

Money
    • Giant deal: Malaysian company to acquire Cold Storage and Giant supermarket chains in Singapore
    • Best travel insurance policies for places prone to natural disasters (2025)
    • 'We spent just $5,000 on reno': Why some buyers are skipping big renovations in 2025
    • Wedding loan vs. personal loan: What's the best way to finance a wedding in Singapore
    • Triple record-breaking $3.06m EC: How did they manage it?
    • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff, smashing global trade norms
    • Stocks slump again after China fires back in trade war with tariffs on US goods
    • Trump's tariffs provoke trade war threats, fears of pricier iPhones
    • Australia says US tariffs 'not act of a friend' but rules out reciprocal move
    • South Korea's acting president calls for talks with US over tariffs

Latest

Latest
  • Barack Obama says he was in 'deep deficit' with wife Michelle after leaving White House
  • India, UAE to develop Sri Lanka energy hub as Delhi competes with China for influence
  • Rains add to challenge for Myanmar quake relief, toll at 3,471
  • Thousands of anti-Trump protesters gather in Washington, other US cities
  • Musk says he hopes for 'zero tariffs' between US and Europe
  • North Korea holding first Pyongyang Marathon in 6 years
  • Palestinian paramedic says he saw Israeli troops firing on emergency vehicles
  • Protesters rally across Spain against housing crisis, tourist flats
  • Sex toys and exploding cosmetics: Anatomy of a 'hybrid war' on the West

In Case You Missed It

In Case You Missed It
  • 'She should be with her family': Employer gives maid plane ticket, $800 to return to Myanmar and search for missing mum
  • 'He needed something to help him fight,' says man who bought Hokkien mee for dying patient
  • Thai woman struggles to evacuate during earthquake while her dog sleeps unfazed
  • Workers painting exterior of Geylang block discover man's skeletal remains in flat
  • 'New, younger' PAP team vows to reclaim WP-controlled Sengkang GRC, says Lam Pin Min
  • New face Jackson Lam 'very good on the ground' and will be asset to Parliament, says Shanmugam
  • Woman who publicised tips on how she evaded GST for luxury purchases fined $18k
  • Powerful quake in Southeast Asia kills several, 81 trapped in Bangkok building rubble
  • Dog dies after being skinned alive in Malaysia, animal welfare group condemns 'barbaric' act
This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.